Frequently Asked Questions

How can we help?

Our services address many needs of individuals, couples, and families such as:

  • Relationship issues
  • Violence and abuse
  • Separation, divorce and other family stresses
  • Caregiving
  • Anxiety or depression
  • Personal well-being

Remember, these are just examples.  We deal with a wide range of issues.  If you feel that counselling may be helpful to you, please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss our services.

Who is eligible for counselling?

Professional Counselling services are available to everyone in Peterborough City and County.  Our services are available in accessible locations.

Do I need a referral?

No, you do not need a referral to obtain counselling.  We do ask that the person requiring counselling call us to arrange the service.

Is this service confidential?

All CCRC services are private and confidential within the agency.  We only release information with your written consent, with the exception of circumstances where we are required by law to release information for the protection of the client or others.  Such cases include situations where there is imminent danger to you or others, such as cases of child protection.

Who are your counsellors?

The counselling staff at Professional Counselling are experienced professionals with master’s level education in social work, family therapy or psychology and are members of a regulatory college.  Should you become one of our clients, we realize that it is important for you to feel comfortable with your counsellor, and most of our clients report very high satisfaction with their counselling experience.  However if for any reason you do not find that your counsellor is a good “fit” for you, please speak with them about the situation or call your counsellor’s supervisor.  Together we’ll find a solution.

Is this service covered by OHIP?

Our services are not covered by OHIP, but through the generosity of our funders, they are provided free of charge for those unable to pay.  For all others, fees are determined based on income and family size.  Your health benefits may also cover some or all of your fees.

Can I see someone in-person?

Our counselling services are currently being offered both remotely and in-person.  Simply mention that you’d prefer to see someone in-person during your call with our intake counsellor.

How are appointments booked?

To arrange counselling, please phone our intake counsellor at 705-743-2272 ext 308 for a brief interview to assess your needs and find out if our counselling service is right for you?

When is the counselling centre open?

 Our switchboard is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.  Some evening appointments are available upon request.

Is parking available?

Yes, there is parking at our 540 George St office.

What bus do I take to get to the counselling office?

CCRC is located at 540 George St N and the Peterborough Transit stop number is 1088.  The stop is across the street next to Inclusive Advisory – the yellow building on the corner of George/McDonnel streets.

You can take the following Peterborough transit routes to get to 540 George St N.

  •  Route 11 Water St (southbound) 
  • 22 CB Blue (Inbound)
  • 6 Sherbrooke (Westbound).

What if I need to speak to someone now?

If you are in crisis and need to speak to someone right away, please call the 4 County Crisis line at 1-866-995-9933.  4 County Crisis is a free service available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.  You can also call 211 to be connected with someone who will help guide you to the service you need now.

Don't miss Jukebox Mania 2024

We could use your help - donate to our holiday giving campaign today!

CCRC will be closed all day March 29 and April 1st for the Easter weekend

CCRC will be closed at 3 pm on Feb 16 and all day Monday February 19 for Family Day.